Avoid ordering out or a dinner malfunction by keeping your pantry stocked with a list of staples that will help you make a variety of meals in a jiffy.
1. Canned chicken: At first it may not sound so appetizing but with a storage life of up to a year, canned or pouch chicken can be a lifesaver. Mix it in with casseroles, stir-fries, creamy salads, or even shredded as a topping to a baked potato. You won’t know the difference.
2. Pasta: It doesn’t matter what kind; spaghetti, linguini, rotini, penne, macaroni,–the list goes on. Pasta is best served to add bulk to a meal. Pasta can be an alternative to rice which can take longer to cook. Add pasta to soups, sauces, with cheese or vegetables and you will have a home-style meal in minutes.
3. Jarred Tomato Sauce: You have the pasta in the pantry so having a quick jar of sauce is a no-brainer. It’s not your mother’s homemade sauce but it will do in a pinch. Tomato sauce is actually very versatile and can also be used in soups, stews, and chili recipes.
4. Rice and Grains: Grains can be used as a quick side to any meal or bulk up any dinner. Stock up on quick-cooking rice, bulgur, and barley. Serve grains with a simple stir-fry or mixed with veggies and an egg for an easy fried rice dish. Mix flavored rice boxes with ground beef for an easy, one-meal dish.
5. Canned Beans: Beans are high in protein; they have a long shelf life and can be a part of lots of different dishes. Heat and mash them for a filling soup or drain and mix them with canned veggies for a light and flavorful dip or vegetable salad. Any kind of beans will do; Black, Pinto, Cannellini, Great Northern, or Garbanzo, just choose your favorite.
6. Canned Vegetables: It is so difficult to use fresh-bought produce before it wilts. Canned vegetables to the rescue, they last much longer. Combine an assortment with broth and seasonings for an easy vegetable soup or add them to pastas, dry soup mixes, casseroles, or rice.
7. Canned Salmon and Tuna: Protein is good for you and helps fill you up. Canned salmon and tuna can be used for easy meal ideas. Serve in salads, pitas, pasta dishes, burgers, loaded potatoes, croquettes, and even as light appetizers or snacks.
8. Canned Tomato Products: Canned tomato products can be turned into so many things. Stock up on paste, stewed, diced and whole tomatoes. Diced tomatoes make a great queso dip when added to melted cheese. Add to ground beef and taco seasoning for a zesty burrito supper, or to a skillet with seasoning for a homemade pasta sauce. Use stewed tomatoes in soups and stews.
9. Peanut Butter: Everyone loves a PB&J sandwich, but peanut butter can be used on the dinner table for Asian-inspired flavor in dips, sauces, and stir-fry. Try it for a snack spread on celery stalks or apple slices, or as a spread with multigrain crackers.
10. Canned Fruit: Fruit for dinner? Why not? Jarred cherries, canned fruit, including pineapple, mandarin oranges, and even fruit cocktail can be used as a healthy and lean side dish. Try serving grilled pineapple with chicken, add mandarin oranges to salads, and fruit always makes a great dessert.
Manchester Listing AlertsManchester, NH - $147,900
55-9E RIVER RD - Condo - High Rise - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/113 hours agoManchester, NH - $267,900
86-88 PENNACOOK STREET - Multi-Family - Units:3 - Levels:1 - Parking Spaces:14 hours agoManchester, NH - $276,000
717 South Willow Street - Rentals - - Rooms:2 - Beds:0 - Baths:1/114 hours agoManchester, NH - $199,500
256 McCarthy St. - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1 - 3/4Baths:114 hours agoManchester, NH - $4,450,000
880-900 Candia Road - Commercial - Year Built:1986 - Acres:014 hours agoManchester, NH - $140,900
815 Fox Hollow Way - Condo - Inside Row, Townhouse, Walkout Lower Level - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/114 hours agoManchester, NH - $189,900
42 Massabesic - Commercial - Year Built:1920 - Acres:0.1114 hours agoManchester, NH - $154,900
73 Hartt Avenue - Single-Family - Bungalow, Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:114 hours agoManchester, NH - $189,900
42 massabesic - Multi-Family - Units:5 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:14 hours agoManchester, NH - $219,900
401 N. Gate Road - Single-Family - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1 - 3/4Baths:114 hours ago
Bedford Listing AlertsBedford, NH - $380,000
29 lot 15 Metea Lane - Condo - Detached - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:214 hours agoBedford, NH - $599,900
8 TWIN BROOK LANE - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/114 hours agoBedford, NH - $359,900
31 lot 14 Metea Lane - Condo - Detached - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:214 hours agoBedford, NH - $210,000
30 Suffolk Court - Condo - Townhouse, Tri-Level - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/114 hours agoBedford, NH - $319,900
24 Bourbon St - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/1 - 3/4Baths:114 hours agoBedford, NH - $239,900
3 Third - Single-Family - New Englander - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:114 hours agoBedford, NH - $440,000
32 Stowell Road - Single-Family - Colonial, Walkout Lower Level - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Bedford, NH - $319,000
30 Olde Lantern - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1 - 3/4Baths:1Bedford, NH - $439,900
10 SONOMA DR - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/1 - 3/4Baths:1Bedford, NH - $449,500
1 SMITHFIELD LANE - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:10 - Beds:2 - Baths:2 - 3/4Baths:1
- Hillsborough County register of probate feels job is gutted, files petition with court May 21, 2013Levasseur, an attorney in private practice, has never set foot in the register of probate office. […]
- No big Powerball winners in NH, but tidy sums taken May 21, 2013And while the winning, $590 million Powerball ticket was sold in Florida, New Hampshire did have its share of winners in the Saturday Powerball drawing: A $1 million ticket sold at Bunny's Superette in Manchester. […]
- NH Business Newsreel May 21, 2013Frank Guinta, announced its board of advisors on Monday. "Policymakers can and should understand and support small businesses more, and our organization will aid in making that possible," said Guinta, the group's chairman. […]
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving May 21, 2013The Distracted Driver Initiative will concentrate on the downtown and include distribution of educational materials to motorists about the dangers of distracted driving, police said. […]
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist May 21, 2013Mark Donnelly, 30, of Manchester, with his fiancee Vanessa Hall, the mother of their 2-year-old daughter, Madyson. […]
- Health insurance: Small business owners seek answers but get few at Manchester forum May 21, 2013If they were looking for definitive answers about what kinds of plans will become available on the new health insurance exchanges that are supposed to open on Oct. […]
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless May 21, 2013The Parks Division had denied a permit to "Do you know Him? Ministries" to use Veterans Memorial Park, where it was allowed to serve the breakfast last year. […]
- Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester May 21, 2013XMVSkate, Inc. the non-profit entity formed to bring both physical improvements and improve the status of the Adam Curtis Skate Park has been developing tentative plans to upgrade the physical facility so that its popularity will eliminate problems that plague skate parks in other communities. […]
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester May 21, 2013Camacho was wanted by the New Hampshire Parole Board on an outstanding arrest warrant for parole violations stemming from his original conviction and sentence for the possession and sale of narcotics. […]
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester May 20, 2013Workers reporting to work Monday morning at a construction site at 1638 Candia Road discovered two trailers had been broken into and several tools and copper piping was stolen. […]
- Hillsborough County register of probate feels job is gutted, files petition with court May 21, 2013
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack May 21, 2013County and federal authorities refuse to say whether Nathan C. Lamontagne is the unnamed second suspect in last fall's brutal home invasion that left a Bedford anesthesiologist and his wife maimed and near death. […]
- Bedford condo shows high style in a smaller space May 21, 2013The newly remodeled kitchen in Leanne and Peter Gould's Bedford condominium will be one of the eight stops on the ninth Annual Palace Theatre Kitchen Tour on Sunday, June 2. Leanne and Peter Gould's Bedford kitchen is one of eight in Bedford and Amherst that will be open to visitors on the Palace Theatre's ninth annual kitchen tour on Sunday, […]
- 10 make finals of National Geographic Bee May 20, 2013Ten young scholars have made it to the finals of the National Geographic Bee, where they'll compete for a $25,000 college scholarship. […]
- A great day for a road race May 19, 2013Bedford friends who run every year. Kathy Gibbons, Claudette Fessenden, Barbara Obevny, Amy Dalrymple, Amy Clark, Diane Rondeau, Paul Rondeau BEDFORD - It was a perfect New Hampshire May morning for the running of the 39th Bedford Rotary Memorial Road Races Saturday.The sun was bright, the skies clear blue and the wind still as 350 runners departed ... (more […]
- Movie theater moves forward in Portsmouth May 19, 2013Zyacorp Entertainment of Bedford on Friday announced that construction will soon begin on its Cinemagic Stadium 10 Theater, which is scheduled to open in November at Southgate Plaza. […]
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack May 21, 2013